Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Discover Iran


I took my children to the local library here in Texas and discovered these 4 books about Iran in the kids' section. I grabbed them all, but suddenly I felt a moment of worry about checking out so many books about Iran, thinking "what if they suspect me of studying terrorism?" But realizing how pathetic and irrational this worry was, I checked these books out! It went fine, no problem. But it's a sad state of affairs in America right now which can cause an already neurotic gal like me to get even more paranoid!

Anyway, I've read the books. It was fascinating learning about the various landscapes, wildlife, ethnicities, histories, etc. I had already assumed that these books would be written from a Western secular viewpoint which would be inserted into the discussions on the 1979 Revolution and its religious government. And the two longer books did just that. 

Still, recently it seems there's been a positive trend on American social media highlighting the fact that Iran is a beautiful country with a rich history of culture and civilization, inhabited by kind and happy people. Others will forever disagree. Different strokes for different folks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment