Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Landed

We've been in Iran for 5 days now. We finally got the internet hooked up yesterday (an ordeal in itself), which has helped the kids and I feel a lot more in control of our environment by being able to connect with others and with the part of the English speaking we've lived with our entire lives.

It has been a surreal culture shock. I had a panic attack the first night. Everyday since I've had that "I want to go back" feeling. Sometimes it feels like I'm stranded on an unknown island with no way off. Still, I have positive moments too. I'm glad we're finally here, that nervousness I had back in America about "moving to Iran" soon has obviously disappeared and there's a sense of relief in knowing we've arrived, we've landed.

The flight from DFW to DUBAI had many, many, many people on it, especially Indian people. I've never seen so many lovely Indian grandmothers in saris waiting to board while sitting in wheelchairs. The 15 hour flight on EMIRATES was enjoyable with plenty of on-screen entertainment and decent enough food and service.

The Dubai airport was quiet and fancy, with shiny GUCCI, CHANEL, and HERMES retail stores. The food there was halal. The McDONALD'S there gave out packaged bananas with every combo meal. We lounged at the airport for 6 hours.

The kids had not slept at all up until then.

Walking with all of our carry ons and backpacks was difficult, as was getting on the plane with all that baggage. We boarded the plane to Tehran. The kids finally got knocked out into a deep sleep then but we had to wake them up when we landed.

At this point we were exhausted and I was suddenly shocked and afraid at the reality that we were now "home" in a land in which I could not understand or speak the language. There was a huge crowd of people waiting to get through the Visa sections. No one cared two flying figs that we were weighed down by all of our luggage and had 3 children, two of which were loudly melting down. We were shuffled from this line to the next back and forth until we were the last group to get through the line.


Then my husband had to find and load all of the 5 suitcases and 5 boxes that arrived in the baggage claim on his own (his friend couldn't make it to help). We got outside to wait for the truck that would load our luggage and drive it an hour towards our apartment in Pardisan. We waited an hour for that truck to arrive. Then we had to wait for the "taxi" that would take us there. The drivers of the truck and the "taxi" were friends of a friend (like that scene from Spongebob, "I knew this guy") so it was difficult to know when they would arrive since they were not professionals.

It was very difficult to stand there waiting so long while my son sobbed from exhaustion all while there were professional taxi drivers asking if we needed a ride. But we were trying to save on cab-fare and already committed to having the help of these friends of friends so we waited. Finally me and my kids got in the "taxi" of the guy (it was just his own car). My husband did not get in immediately and I was terrified that this guy would just take off without my husband. These guys only speak Farsi of course.

Then the hour long drive there was harrowing. No seat belts in the car. The guy driving so fast. The dark of night. The guy speaking Farsi loudly on his phone. The guy pulling over on the side of the road a few times because his friend the truck driver was behind or ahead or lost. The drive seeming to last forever.

The guy gave us some fruit. I took it as if it might be the only thing we would eat in who knows when. We arrived at our complex, still shellshocked. It was nice to be indoors in our own place. Then the next phase of adjustment had to begin.

I had taken photographs and video of every leg of the journey. Unfortunately, most of my footage was deleted when trying to adjust my iPhone here (something about a new SIM card, unlocking my phone, and a hot spot). I definitely love technology but have no idea how it all works.

I was able to make this short and silly video of the first part of our flight.


Stay tuned for more details about our journey...



No comments:

Post a Comment