Thursday, May 18, 2017

Bademjan: Eggplant! Bread and Sugar.


So I had some eggplants (BADEMJAN) and looked up some recipes. Now, this is how I felt after realizing I didn't have many necessary ingredients for most of the recipes: 


This happens a lot. For example, I found a recipe for Pakistani style eggplant. Here's what I needed:


But here's what I actually had on hand:


So, instead of waiting around for my husband to go to the grocery store where he may or may not find all the ingredients, I just use what I have and make my own versions.


If you want to make Iranian eggplant, look up kashke bademjan and khoresh bademjan.


In the above pic you can see a type of bread called LAVASH

"Lavash is made with flour, water, and salt. The thickness of the bread varies depending on how thin it was rolled out. Toasted sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds are sometimes sprinkled on before baking...Traditionally the dough is rolled out flat and slapped against the hot walls of a clay oven. While quite flexible when fresh, lavash dries out quickly and becomes brittle and hard."

Now in the bottom photo is SANGAK:

"The bread is baked on a bed of small river stones in an oven. There are, normally, two varieties of this bread offered at Iranian bakeries: the generic one which has no toppings; and the more expensive variety which is seed bread (this is, topped with poppy seeds and/or sesame seeds). Sangak bread was traditionally the bread of the Persian army. It is mentioned for the first time in the 11th century. Each soldier carried a small quantity of pebbles which at camp were brought together with the "sangak oven" and used to cook the bread for the entire army."


In other random food notes: Here's my favorite Iranian cookie:


Some Iranians drink their tea with sugar cubes, putting one in their mouth and then sipping their tea until it dissolves. I don't enjoy the texture of this method, but it's fun for some! 


Another thing I noticed is that folks here may eat their french fries with a fork and put ketchup on their pizza (which usually has no tomato sauce on it!). 

That's it for now, Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment