Monday, July 24, 2017

Kheili Mamnoon means Thank You Very Much !


What's this? Amazon packages in Iran? How can that be? Amazon doesn't deliver here, you know.


So, I've mentioned before that we're not able to visit America at this time. So we all (especially the children) miss our familiar American items. And since sending a package directly from America to Iran is nearly impossible, we have to depend on the kindness of visitors to Iran who will bring the items to us. 

One of my husband's good friends was due to visit Qom. So, a few months before his arrival, my parents in Texas ordered gifts for us using Amazon online, having them sent to my husband's friend's address in California so that friend could put it in his own luggage and bring it on the flight here! I was so surprised that his friend and his friend's wife were generous enough to even leave the items in the original boxes instead of taking them out to make for a lighter suitcase. Wow, what a special treat that was. I'm so grateful for the people that make an effort like this.  


Speaking of special treats, another friend of mine was due to be in Qom only for a couple of days. Before she left the States she asked me if there was anything from there she could bring. It was short notice, and though I was pleasantly surprised she asked--my mind went blank at first, and then it became overwhelmed with all the possibilities as I considered the things I missed from America. I settled on asking her to bring some chocolate candy and macaroni for the kids. I figured she's bring one of two small bags of each. I was shocked to see the generous amount that she brought for us; it was amazing! Just look at this, it must have been a lot to carry! Again, we're so grateful to her for bringing smiles to our faces. She didn't even let me say thank you, but I'll say Kheili Mamnoon! 


Because my mind went blank when I was asked about what things she could bring for us, I decided to start making a list of items that we could definitely use if some kind American is able to bring things over. I don't expect anyone to bring all of these, or even any, but I figured it might help others who may one day move to Iran or bring gifts over. These are mostly items that are not available or not easily available here in Iran, especially around the Qom area (I don't know what it's like in bigger cities such as Tehran). The list includes things from ketchup to taco seasoning and kids' vitamins to mustard! Check out the entire list here.  

Of course there's no way to bring a many year supply of those items, and of course most will be used up in short time, but just to have a little taste of home is a comfort. 

So yes, of course the best things in life are free (love, friendship, and knowledge) but some good old Kit Kat and Kraft Mac N Cheese, plus the luxury of a Harry Potter book and Little House DVD are very much appreciated ! ! ! I look forward to being able to go back to America with a bunch of goodies from Iran to give out :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment