Sunday, September 25, 2016

Get Outta Dodge

Growing up in America for nearly 40 years has been good. My parents gave me a comfortable life. And back before I wore hijab, I really felt like I belonged. I remember as a child learning about Martin Luther King Jr, and how America used to be a hostile place for minorities before the Civil Rights Movement. I was glad that was in the past.

Although my husband and I had made our plans to move to Iran before this 2016 election drama began, it DOES seem like a good thing to leave America for awhile (bigots rejoice!). This new Trump culture is unnerving, and I pray that when we are able to come back and live in America again, that the climate here and in the world is one closer to that of my childhood, when it felt like we were on the right track.

I'll admit, I'm glad I've got a ticket out for a bit. My condolences to those of you who can't just move to Canada. Be brave! Be good! There's still more light than darkness. Be the light you wish to see. Netflix and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment